REEDURBAN PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
The story of Reedurban Presbyterian Church actually begins back in the spring of 1923 when a Sunday Church School was organized under the direction of Corena Daugherty. Under the guidance of Miss Daugherty a congregation started to grow. They met regularly in the old Reedurban Public School each Sunday afternoon for the next year with Rev. Arch M. Neale, pastor of the Bedford Presbyterian Church, conducting services.
The six-month period from late 1924 to early 1925 was a significant era in the birth of Reedurban. In October 1924 the schoolhouse was purchased and following extensive repairs was dedicated debt-free through a grant from the United Presbyterian Board of Church Erection on May 17, 1925. This one-time schoolhouse, one-time Baptist Church, one-time residence at 140 Perry Drive, S.W., was to serve as the first home for the congregation that began with Daugherty’s Sunday Church School class. Thirty-seven charter members held their first service under the auspices of the Mansfield Presbytery. With that dedication service, The Reedurban Community Presbyterian Church was officially born.
This first home of the congregation was sold to the Mt. Olivet Assembly of God in mid 1965 and we moved to the present location in November 1965. This final move culminated countless hours of conscientious effort on the part of the congregation. The church was renamed The Reedurban Presbyterian Church in 1986.
It is a good thing to reflect on where our church has been and where it will be going. Remember that a church is called together by God to witness to our Lord Jesus Christ. Our continued appreciation of our Lord’s blessings and our daily application of his teachings will be what will make this church stronger in the coming years.
1923 Corena Daugherty formed a Sunday Church School at the Reedurban Public School. Rev. Arch M. Neale, pastor of the Bedford Presbyterian Church conducted services.
Oct. 1924 The school was purchased and made ready for use as our first church building.
March 6, 1925 Thirty-seven charter members held the first service under the auspices of the Mansfield Presbytery.
May 1, 1925 Rev. Joseph A. Mears became our first minister
May 17, 1925 The Reedurban United Presbyterian Church was dedicated.
1926 Rev. Thomas S. Cochard became our second minister.
July 26, 1929 Rev. Glen M. Saunder became our third minister. (Rev. Saunder was the only minister ordained in our church.)
June 8, 1930 First Session consisting of three Elders was elected.
1935 Extensive remodeling of the church building was started under the direction of Frank H. Mayes.
Jan. 1938 Rev. J.E. McCall became our fourth minister. Membership had grown to 109.
Aug. 1, 1955 Rev. Glen R. Hueholt became our fifth minister.
Sept. 11, 1955 Rededication Service was held following remodeling. Membership had grown to 340.
1962 Rev. Sherwood Roach became our sixth minister. Cambell Miller and then Bill Yoder were first missionaries given support by our church.
Nov. 1965 The congregation moved to the present church. A $35,000 land investment and a $190,000 building investment were required in addition to hours of personal effort on the part of the congregation.
Feb. 27, 1966 Dedication services were held for the new church building.
May 1, 1976 Rev. Wilson F. Wood became our seventh minister.
Nov. 21, 1976 Church celebrated 50 years of Christian Service to our Lord.
May 19, 1985 Mortgage Burning Ceremony. New Baldwin 640 Organ Dedication
Nov. 15, 1988 Rev. R. Allan Looft became interim pastor.
Jan. 1990 Rev. Gary W. Miller became our 8th minister.
May 17, 1992 67th Anniversary of our church’s dedication.
Jan. 2003 Rev. Lynn Shetzer became interim pastor.
May 17, 2005 80th Anniversary of church’s dedication.
Oct. 2005 Rev. Dr. Darrell Holmes became our 9th pastor.
May 16, 2010 85th Anniversary of Church’s dedication.